The Town of Grand Lake Board of Trustees announced that Town Manager Jim White will be retiring on June 28, 2019. The Board and Mr. White reached an amicable decision to allow his early retirement from the position he has held since January 15, 2015. Jim and his wife Amy will continue to live in Grand Lake where they will remain involved in their community volunteerism and love of the area.
Grand Lake Town Manager White has lived in Colorado since 1978. He and his wife Amy moved to Grand County from Minturn, where White worked as the town manager. “We love Grand County and will continue to make this our home.” White said,“This community has much to offer and it is time for change. I have been at it a long time.” White had planned on retiring at the end of the year but summer is a favorite time of year for many and it makes sense to “enjoy more of what our lifetstyle has to offer.”
Some of the notable accomplishments the town has achieved during Jim’s time at the helm include:
- Securing a $4.3million dollar sales tax bond for streetscape and infrastructure improvements.
- Receiving grants of $500,000 and $750,000 to augment streetscape project construction.
- Creating the Grand Lake Center, a community-based recreation, art and community center in the former town Elementary School.
- Developing the partnership with Middle Park Medical Center to bring the Grand Lake Health Clinic to the Grand Lake Center, slated to open June 18, 2019.
- Reconstructing the West Portal Bridge in conjunction with Colorado Department of Transportation. Securing the additional $900,000 needed to allow for current construction costs.
- Retrofitting public lighting to be energy efficient dark sky LED downlit streetlamps to preserve the town’s notable night sky.
- Improvements at the Headwaters Marina, including marina repairs and an increased fleet of rental craft
- Replacing the Town’s managed East Inlet public boat launch docks.
In recognition of Jim’s service and retirement, the Town will host a retirement party to be held at the Community House in Town Square Park from 4:30pm to 7:00pm on Friday June 28, 2019. The public is invited to attend.