At the Winter Park & Fraser Chamber Annual Dinner, the 2019 Citizen of the Year was announced along with the 2019 Pioneer Award. The Citizen of the Year is chosen by the past five Citizens of the Year and this year’s recipient was Peggy Smith. This committee also suggests community members who have made a major above-self contribution over the decades to be chosen as the recipient of the Pioneer of the Year. The 2019 Pioneer Award goes to Graham and Louise Powers.
Here is a list of the many above-selfless acts that Graham and Louise Powers have helped serve our community by not only giving time to these organizations, but have given money to additional community organizations throughout the decades.
- Louise was one of the organizers and fundraisers of Fraser Valley Partnership for Trails (before Headwaters Trails Alliance started).
- Both still volunteer with the HTA and were instrumental in building the Givelo Trail which also they have adopted for the adopt a trail program.
- Both are Winter Park Resort Ski Patrol volunteers and have been for the past 41 years and still going.
- Both are Bike Patrol volunteers at the mountain bike races and still going.
- Former Guides for the Ski Meisters.
- Graham & Louise hosted many duckie races at their house.
- Helped with the Grand County Wilderness Group doing trail work and picking up trailhead registration box forms.
- Volunteers for National Public Lands Day.
- Graham is currently serving on the Board of the Colorado Headwaters Land Trust.
- Graham volunteers at the Church of the Eternal Hills.
- Louise helped organize the Community Dinners at the Cranmer Chapel for the Church.
- Graham is currently on the Grand County Mental Health task force.
- Graham is a member of Legion Post 88 and volunteers for Veteran’s funerals.
Congratulations Graham and Louise, well deserved!!!