PHOTO: Mural artist Mpek, created this piece of chairlift art during this year’s Fraser MTB Festival. The chair will be placed somewhere on the streets of Fraser. Photo courtesy of the Town of Fraser
When Winter Park Resort disassembled the the iconic Zephyr Express chairlift in preparation for installation of a new 10-person gondola this past spring, they set some of the chairs and gondola cars aside for Grand Foundation fundraising efforts. Additionally, they bestowed 20 chairs each to the towns of Fraser and Winter Park.
Fraser’s Public Arts Committee (PAC) immediately began working with the town’s Public Works department on a design to convert the chairs into functional (and stable) bench seats for placement around the Fraser Valley. With the design element completed, each town’s Public Works department will use consistent processes to transform the chairs into benches. Public Works will also wire brush and prime the chairs to serve as a canvas for local artists to create 40 uniquely designed chairs to be displayed in both towns.
On Wednesday morning, the Public Arts Committee announced a Call for Artists. Those interested in participating in the program are asked to submit their concepts to be reviewed and decided upon by the Public Arts Committee. Artists whose concepts are selected will be awarded a $250 stipend per chair.
To apply for this program, contact the Town of Fraser for an application, complete it, include any sketches or images that support the submission and return it to the Town of Fraser’s Public Arts Committee by Wednesday, August 29th.
- Chair beautification must be completed on-site, after installation of the chairs in their new homes;
- $250 stipend per chair. Artists may submit multiple concept applications;
- Work must be completed by the end of 2018;
- Town Public Works departments will provide an application of a UV/graffiti resistant coating;
- Locations of each of the chairs are to be determined, but the purpose is for the chairs to become points of interest around the Fraser Valley;
- The deadline for applications is Wednesday, August 29th.
Designs of a political or religious nature will not be accepted. No profanity, obscenity, nudity, or overtly offensive subject matter will be allowed.
For further information about this program or to submit an application, contact Allie Heon, Business Development Specialist at email@example.com or call (703) 915-6098.