The YMCA introduced the concept of group swim lessons in 1909. Now, each year, in more than 2,000 pools across the country, more than a million children learn invaluable water safety and swim skills.
Our local YMCA, Snow Mountain Ranch will be offering swim lessons this summer for kids aged 3-12. Lessons will be offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., and children will be separated into groups by age and ability.
The session takes place June 12 – August 2. If your child is signed up for Day Camp at Snow Mountain Ranch, the swim lessons will immediately follow the day’s camp activities. Counselors will deliver campers directly to the pool and they can be picked up after their swim lesson.
Teaching children how to swim and be safe around water is one of the most important life skills parents can offer their children. It not only saves lives; it builds confidence:
- Participation in swimming helps teach children at a young age to strive for physical achievement.
- Water safety and swim lessons promote a lifelong enjoyment of swimming, encourage healthy living and the prevention of chronic diseases.
- Learning to enjoy activities in and around the water nurtures social-emotional, cognitive and physical development.
Through age appropriate levels, young swimmers will learn:
- Fundamental water safety skills that include the concepts of reach, throw, don’t go; and what to look for in a safe place to swim.
- Jump/Push/Turn/Grab teaches a child to push off the bottom of the pool as they are submerging to get back up to the surface while turning to grab the side of the pool.
- Swim/Float/Swim teaches children to swim a short distance on their front, roll over onto their back to rest, and then roll on their front to continue swimming to safety.
- Older kids will be introduced to new strokes and refine their current stroke techniques to become stronger and more efficient swimmer.
Snow Mountain Ranch’s Program Director, MaryAnn Degginger says, “We want every kid to learn how to be safe around water. Swim lessons offer that opportunity. And they’re fun!”
The price for the 8-week session is $50 for YMCA Members or $60 for Non-Members. Scholarships are available for both day camp and swimming lessons. To sign up, please contact the Programs Department at 970-887-2152 x4135 or visit the website at https://snowmountainranch.org/swim-lessons.